Thursday, October 3, 2013

An Ode to Rouminou (a.k.a Gros Minou, a.k.a Peaches) 2002-2013


A post to bid fairwell, and to honor all the smiles he put on my face for more than 10 years.


This is the sadder reason (there are more joyful reasons to come) why I didn't write as much this summer on the blog.  As Alex, Leo and I made our yearly pilgrimage to my grandfathers sacred blueberry patch in Lac Frontiere, Quebec, Rouminou vanished, never to be seen again.

Apparently there have been 5 times more cat disappearances this summer in our part of Maine, and some people have even witnessed a bobcat roaming through town. Although I wish he was still here everyday that goes by, I would rather think that his life ended so that the life of a bobcat could continue, than think that maybe he got squished by a car or locked into someone's barn by accident.


Rouminou was a true friend of ours, even though this might sound absurd to a lot of folks. When my neighbor begged me to take him, I didn't want to adopt him at first, as he came into my life just as my cat Cesar had suddenly passed away, but he was so friendly, especially to Moumou (our other cat), wouldn't stop purrrrrrrrrring and licking any one's face who agreed to let him.  For ten years, Rouminou followed me where ever I went, even when I lived in Ste-Anne's, he would often walk me to the Coop and then go back home, and here on the farm, he went with us to every corner of the property, never really leaving our side, if maybe only to sprint just for fun.  And he loved to remind us he was the best cat there is, by bringing us loads of gifts.  Socks, shirts, underwear, pants, whatever he could grab onto with his teeth, he would slowly bring them down the staircase, one at a time, sometimes several times a night, meowing as loudly as possible, and bring it to the feet of the person he loved the most that day.  Come on, let's go to bed! he'd be saying.





Ok, he did steal all of Moumou's food, all the time, and he did have a slight weight problem, but Rouminou was the cutest and I miss him.

bye bye Rouminou...

Trying to steal Moumou's food again!


Oh, and friend of ours wanted to post this picture in a comment, but I am not sure if you can do it, so here it is, thanks Marissa for sending it to us.

Rouminou and the hand of God ;)

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your cat :( I completely understand you calling him a friend. Our cats and dog are a huge, important part of our family as well! It's amazing the smiles and love that such a small creature is able to bring into our lives!

    ReplyDelete